Learn the functions and benefits of bridge pose, as well as tips for modifying and contraindications.
The following is a restorative yoga sequence designed during the Yapana Being: Restorative Yoga Training with Leeann Carey. It includes progressively quieter backward-bending poses to relax the body while expanding the front of the body and chest for access to a deeper breath.
All postures can be found in Leeann's book, The Yapana Way.
1 Strap (optional)
1 10-pound Sandbag (optional)
- Virasana - Hero Pose
- Matsyendrasana - Fish Pose
- Jathara Parivarttanasana - Revolved Stomach Squeeze
- Supta Baddha Konasana - Reclined Bound Angle Pose
- Setu Bandhasana - SupportedBridge Pose
- Legs up the Chair
- Savasana (brief)
This tested and student-approved sequence is designed to help sore athletes (or yogis) recover after a hard workout. All postures (and additional sequences) can be found in Leeann Carey's book on restorative yoga, The Yapana Way.
1 Sandbag (10 pounds, optional)
- Matsyasana - Fish Pose
- Virabhadrasana II- Warrior II
- Utthita Trikonasana - Triangle Pose
- Ustrasana - Camel Pose
- Jathara Parivartanasana - Stomach-Turn Pose
- Eka Pada Apanasana - One-Legged Knee to Chest Pose
- Supta Padangustasana I - Reclined Big Toe Pose I
- Prasarita Paddotanasana - Wide-legged Foward Bend
This is a tried and true sequence of restorative yoga postures that my group designed during the Yapana BEING: Restorative Yoga Therapy training with Leeann Carey. It begins with "louder" full body postures for general opening, and winds down through quieter backbending and inverted postures to a deep rest in final savasana. All postures and variations can be found in Leeann's book, The Yapana Way.
Props used (per student):
1 Sandbag (10 pounds)
- Warrior II - Virabhadrasana II
- Revolved Triangle - Parvrtti Uttita Trikonasana
- Reclined Bound Angle - Supta Baddha Konasana
- Prasarita Padotanasana - Wide-legged Forward Bend
- Jathara Paravartanasana - Revolved Knee Squeeze
- Setu Bandha Sarvangasana - Supported Bridge
- Viparita Karani - Legs-Up-the-Chair